If you suspect your child is having trouble learning to read, get your child help right away!
Trouble learning to read is usually not related to what a parent has or hasn't done at home or a child's intelligence. There is usually some type of difficulty processing sounds.
What can you do as a parent to help your child?
- My first suggestion is to learn. Check out these two sites. Reading Rockets - Why Some Kids Struggle and Bright Solutions for Dyslexia
- You can find ways to help your child with hearing sounds.
- Three books I recommend to help children hear sounds are Phonemic Awareness in Young Children, Sounds in Action, and Reading Pathways. I've included links to these books at the end of this posting.
- Try some free online reading games.
- Try a recommended online reading program.
- Check out my advice for parents Teaching Reading.
- Don't give up and trust your instincts.